Depending on who you ask, Lizard King is either the shamanic alter ego of Jim Morrison, a magic mushroom, or some omnipotent secret reptilian overlord.
For the purposes of this article, we’re staying clear of psychedelic rockers (for the most part) and tin-foil hat conspiracies and focusing on magic mushrooms.
What are Lizard King Mushrooms?
Lizard King mushrooms are a strain of Psilocybe cubensis. They have white stems and beige caps (they darken when dried) and are between 5 and 12 centimeters tall and a couple of centimeters wide.
Also known as LK, this magic mushroom comes from northern Mexico and is named after a famous mycologist dubbed the “Lizard King”.
The species is popular in the mycology community as it produces an abundance of fruits with large caps and long stems. It’s also suitable for users of all experience levels and provides a balanced experience.
Who is the Lizard King?
The Lizard King mushroom became very popular with the counterculture movement in the 1960s.
At the time, the name “Lizard King” was also adopted by Jim Morrison, the lead singer of The Doors, an American rock band responsible for classics like People are Strange and Break on Through (to the other side).
It’s often said that Jim Morrison gave himself the nickname after he went insane from drink and drugs and believed he could communicate with reptiles and other assorted desert creatures. It’s more likely that he just liked the name and wanted an alter ego with which he could distance himself.
He is also said to have considered the lizard to be his spirit animal.
The infamous lead singer isn’t the one who discovered the mushrooms, and his chosen alter ego had nothing to do with the strain, but the connection was made at a later date and Morrison is now synonymous with these mushrooms.
It’ll come as no surprise to learn that Morrison was a big fan of psychotropics. Not only did the band produce many psychedelic rock songs and allude to drugs in their music, but the band’s name also has a psychedelic connection.
“The Doors” comes from The Doors of Perception, a 1954 novel by Aldous Huxley. The author that gave us Brave New World spent 60+ pages documenting his experiences with mescaline.
What is the Dosage of Lizard King Shrooms?
Lizard King is a potent mushroom in high doses, but it’s very beginner-friendly when micro-dosing.
If you’re using mushrooms for the first time, we recommend sticking with the smallest therapeutic dose. If you have experience with other strains, you can increase the dose based on your preferred experience.
Use the following as a general guideline for Lizard King dosing, but keep in mind that reactions can vary based on everything from user tolerance to the strength of the mushrooms used:
- Stage 0 = Micro Dose (Under 0.2g): A microdose can provide a strong head high without much of a body high. Some users report experiencing improvements in focus and creativity, as well as a reduction in the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Stage 1 = Mild Effects (0.2g to 0.5g): The effects increase and you may experience a strong relaxation, along with some changes in perception. This is when the real hallucinogenic effects of these mushrooms present themselves.
- Stage 2 = Moderate Effects (0.5g to 1g): At this point, it’s hard to hide the fact that you’re high as there are some significant changes in your perception. Creativity is still improved, and it comes with a strong euphoria, but you’ll also sense shifts in the world around you, as well as closed-eye visuals.
- Stage 3 = Strong Effects (1g to 2g): Faces become distorted, the world changes, and hallucinations are common. Closed-eye visuals are also intense and you’ll experience some deep introspection.
- Stage 4 = Intense Hallucinogenic Effects (2g to 3g): This is when the hallucinations intensify, with objects morphing into others. Many users report having conversations with inanimate objects after this level of dose. Time and perception also change.
- Stage 5 = Ego Death (3g to 4g): This is not a recommended dose for inexperienced users, or indeed anyone who doesn’t want to lose touch with reality. This is when the most intense experiences occur, with a complete loss of time and reality.
What are the Effects of Lizard King Shrooms?
The effects depend on the dose, and whether you’re micro-dosing or dropping several grams at a time. As with all mushrooms, your experience can be drastically different by swinging just half a gram either way, so check out the guidelines above, plot your journey carefully, and take an amount that you’re comfortable with.
How Long Before they Take Effect?
As with other mushroom strains, it largely depends on your psychology, stomach contents, and a few other variables. However, they usually kick in after between 10 and 20 minutes, with the effects increasing rapidly thereafter.
Are Lizard King Shrooms Good for Amateur Growers?
These mushrooms are very good for amateur growers, as they require minimal cultivation and have the most basic requirements. This is one of the reasons this shroom strain is so popular.
What do Lizard King Mushrooms Look Like?
Lizard King mushrooms are usually a couple of centimeters wide and can grow up to a dozen cm tall. While fresh, the stem has a white hue and the cap is a light beige. When they have been dried, the stem has a brownish tinge and the cap is dark beige.
Where Do Lizard King Mushrooms Come From?
These mushrooms originate from northern Mexico. It’s said that they were first discovered among a mix of wood and horse manure.
Did Jim Morrison Discover Lizard King Mushrooms?
Although the legendary rockstar is closely associated with these mushrooms, he wasn’t the one who discovered them.
Summary: All Hail the Lizard King
Lizard King mushrooms are a good choice for first-time growers and users. This Psilocybe cubensis strain has a long and interesting history and it produces some attractive, uniform, and surprisingly potent mushrooms.
Whether you’re interested in lizards, rock music, and the counterculture movement or just want a tried-and-tested shroom, it’s worth checking them out.